CIA Alumni in the News: Best of 2015
Here are some exciting CIA alumni stories from 2015.
San Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants
San Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants list for 2015 includes 13—including all of the top five—approved externship locations where CIA students can complete their required field study between freshman and sophomore year. They are:
- El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
- Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
- Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Central, Lima, Peru
- Eleven Madison Park, NYC
- Pujol, Mexico City
- Le Bernardin, NYC
- Le Chateaubriand, Paris
- Alinea, Chicago
- Vendôme, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
- Per Se, NYC
- Mani, São Paulo, Brazil
- Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY
Six CIA Alumni won James Beard Awards
Chef & Restaurant Awards:
- Andrew Chabot ’02, Outstanding Service: The Barn at Blackberry Farm, Walland, TN
- Rajat Parr ’96, Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional
- Alon Shaya ’99, Best Chef: South
- Stuart Brioza ’98, Best Chef: West
The Book, Broadcast, and Journalism Awards:
- Nicolaus Balla ’02, Cookbook: Cooking from a Professional Point of View (Bar Tartine: Techniques & Recipes)
- Anthony Bourdain ’78 (Best Television Program, On Location, (The Mind of a Chef)
Kelvin Fernandez ’05 Wins Beat Bobby Flay
Eater’s 2015 Young Guns Class
Food & Wine’s Best New Chefs
Congrats to CIA grads Michael Fojtasek ’10 & Grae Nonas ’08, partners at Olamaie.
They were named Best New Chefs by Food & Wine. Check out the full 2015 list.
CIA Grads Among Food & Wine’s People’s Choice Winners
Two CIA grads were chosen as regional People’s Choice Best New Chefs. Ari Weiswasser ’03 of Glen Ellen Star earned the title for California. Eric Sakai ’04, who owns Restaurant Marron with his wife and fellow alumnus Zarina Sakai ‘05, won the title for the Northwest and Pacific region.
CIA Grad Innovates Mexican Cuisine
Five CIA alumni joined the cast of cheftestants for this year’s season of Top Chef on Bravo:
Grayson Schmitz ’04
While still fresh from the CIA, Kwame has been getting a lot of buzz as the top contender.