Chocolate Mint Cookies
National White Chocolate Day is September 22!
Try this recipe for Chocolate Mint Cookies with chopped white chocolate.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped, melted, and tempered
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp mint extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped, as needed
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 tsp mint extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low. Add the semisweet chocolate and mix until combined.
- Gradually add the eggs and vanilla, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the mint extract and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together. Add to the creamed mixture and mix just until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the white chocolate just until combined.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and roll into 8-inch long logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until firm enough to cut, 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the logs into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake until the cookies begin to set and develop a crust, 10 to 12 minutes. Rotate and switch the baking sheets as necessary for even baking. The white chocolate shouldn’t take on any color.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheets and place on a rack until completely cooled.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the chocolate coating: Fill the bottom of a double boiler or a saucepan with a couple of inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Put the semisweet chocolate in the top of the double boiler or a medium heat-safe bowl and place over the simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat and mix in the oil and mint extract just until combined. Keep warm.
- Line baking sheets with parchment or waxed paper. Dip the cooled cookies one third deep in the chocolate coating and place on the prepared sheets. Set in a cool place to let the chocolate set up.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container.