19 Top CIA Moments of 2019
With a new year upon us, it’s time to reflect on just a few of the fun, impressive, amazing CIA moments and achievements of this past year.
1. The CIA was named a Military-Friendly College
A champion for military veterans since our founding in 1946, the CIA again received the Military-Friendly designation from VIQTORY, publisher of G.I. Jobs, for 2019–2020.
2. CIA President Tim Ryan was included among the “50 Greatest Pittsburghers of All Time”
Pittsburgh Magazine honored Dr. Ryan, a native of the city, for his countless contributions to the food world and culinary education.
3. A Fine Line premiered at the CIA
As part of Women’s History Month, the campus community was inspired by a screening of the documentary about female chefs, along with a reception and panel discussion with featured guest Lidia Bastianich.
4. The CIA master’s in wine management was launched
Offered at the college’s Napa Valley campus, the newest CIA graduate degree program is focused on mastering the business of wine, from vineyard to table.
5. The Brewery at the CIA was named NYS Brewery of the Year
And two of our student-produced beers earned gold medals at the NYS Craft Beer Competition, too!
6. The CIA at Copia debuted the Le Petit Chef interactive 3D dinner
Pairing tech with fine dining, this unique 3D dining experience was just one of the many culinary adventures to be had in 2019 at our foodie wonderland in Napa Valley.
7. CIA students took gold in the national SkillsUSA competition
They nailed it, with first place wins in both the Commercial Baking and Culinary Arts categories. We’re so proud of them!
8. The CIA Leadership Awards raised more than $1M for student scholarships
The college honored the “Masters of Hospitality” with Augie Awards, and the industry responded with generous scholarship support for its future leaders.
9. The CIA partnered with Albany Medical College
Future doctors were invited into CIA kitchens for hands-on learning about meal planning and healthy cooking that will help them, in turn, educate their future patients.
10. The Chuck Williams Culinary Arts Museum opened
The CIA at Copia is now home to more than 4,000 rare pieces from the personal collection of the visionary Chuck Williams, founder of Williams-Sonoma.
11. The college celebrated the life of Anthony Bourdain ’78
Chefs Eric Ripert and José Andrés joined the CIA in dedicating the main corridor in Roth Hall as Les Halles d’Anthony Bourdain and announcing a new scholarship for CIA students pursuing study abroad.
12. CIA Applied Food Studies students curated the State of Ate
As part of their Food History course, students created the State of Ate: New York’s History Through 8 Ingredients, a museum exhibit open to the public.
13. CIA seniors raised $17K for scholarships and charities
Food business management students put everything they’d learned in their four years at the CIA into creating two hugely successful themed benefit dinners.
14. The college introduced its Japanese Cuisine concentration
Students interested in taking a deep-dive into the study of Japanese history, culture, and cuisine kicked off their concentration semester with a 10-day culinary tour of Japan.
15. James Beard Award Winner Kwame Onwuachi ’13 returned to campus
Chef Kwame Onwuachi spoke to students about African foodways and their impact on American cooking in his presentation, Charting the Course.
16. Food Network star Anne Burrell ’96 was featured at our Open House
CIA alumna Anne Burrell did a high-energy cooking demonstration to a full house of prospective students and their families on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
17. $62,000+ in scholarships was awarded in the CIA Run for Your Knives 5K
Held during Alumni Weekend, this year’s Run for Your Knives was a record-breaker—in scholarship dollars, as well as the number of runners, walkers, sponsors, and supporters.
18. Nineteen new members were inducted into Eta Sigma Delta
The high-achieving students were welcomed into the CIA student chapter of the international honor society for hospitality management.
19. And all of the incredible everyday moments at the CIA captured on IGTV, Facebook, Twitter…
There’s SO much cool stuff that happens here, every single day!