Orange-Chipotle Chicken Wings with Chipotle Sour Cream
You can’t go wrong with wings in your party spread, and our Latin-inspired Orange-Chipotle Chicken Wings with Chipotle Sour Cream are destined for fan-favorite status! Check out the recipe, watch the video, and plan ahead—these spicy wings need 6 to 8 hours to marinate before cooking.
Makes 6 main-course or 12 appetizer servings
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3 chipotle chiles canned in adobo sauce, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime (approximately 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 3 1/2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/8 cup olive oil (optional)
- Vegetable cooking spray, as needed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly on bias for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the hot water, chipotles, cilantro, tomato paste, marmalade, garlic, spices, vinegar, lime juice, and peanut butter, and pulse to combine the ingredients into a coarse paste. Divide mixture in half.
- Remove the chicken wings from the package and pat dry with paper towels. Remove the wing tips and discard or save for stock. Cut the remaining wing into 2 pieces, dividing at joint.
- Marinate the wings in half of the chipotle mixture for 6 to 8 hours or overnight. The olive oil may be added to this mixture to help coat the wings.
- Spray a heavy-duty baking tray with vegetable cooking spray. Arrange the chicken wings on the tray in one layer with space between each wing. Spray the wings with a light layer of vegetable cooking spray. Place the wings on a tray over a sheet pan and bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the wings are golden brown and crisp. The wings may be crisped for 3 to 4 minutes under the broiler if necessary.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey to the remaining chipotle sauce. Place 2 tablespoons of the sauce in a large mixing bowl. Add the hot wings and stir gently to coat every wing in sauce. Add more sauce to taste or serve extra sauce on the side.
- Place the seasoned wings on a platter and garnish with sliced scallions. Accompany with a bowl of the Chipotle Sour Cream.
Chipotle Sour Cream Ingredients:
Makes approximately 1 1/4 cups
- 2 chipotle chiles canned in adobo sauce, seeds removed
- 1 cup sour cream (or substitute 0% Greek yogurt)
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lime (approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- Salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
Sour Cream Directions:
- Remove the chiles from the sauce. Reserve the sauce. Slit open the chiles and scrape to remove the seeds. Cut the chiles into a fine dice.
- Stir the chiles into the sour cream. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of adobo sauce to taste, depending on the desired level of spiciness. Add the lime juice and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.