Chef Freddy’s Pea Flan
Makes 12 servings
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- salt, pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Blanch peas in hot water for 2 minutes (frozen peas 1 minute).
- Cool on a tray.
- Place in a blender, blend till smooth.
- Mix pea puree with the rest of the ingredients and season.
- Butter small ramekin molds and fill with the pea mixture to three-quarters full.
- Place ramekins in baking pan/hotel pan. Fill pan with hot water halfway up the ramekin.
- Bake 325 degrees for 30 minutes until flan is set. Reserve warm.
- 1 orange, juiced
- 16 oz large diced carrots
- 2 oz sweet butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- Boil carrots in water till half cooked. Drain and cool.
- Heat orange juice, add the carrots. Add enough water till the liquid barely covers the ingredients.
- Add honey, salt, and carrot glaze.
- Carrots should be tender and seasoned reserve.
- Finish with dill.
- 1 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Water, as needed
- 1 tbsp chopped onions
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan on medium heat, add spices.
- Add onion and garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add carrot juice and reduce liquid by simmering on low for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowel, add water to the corn starch until it has the consistency of heavy cream, to make a slurry.
- Add slurry to simmering carrot sauce 1 tbsp at a time till sauce is thickened to a light consistency.
- Season with salt, strain, and reserve warm.
- Place warm flan at top of plate (use a clock’s face as a plating guide, 12:00).
- To the right of the flan (2:00 position), place 2 oz. of sauce.
- Place the glazed carrots on top of the sauce.
Note: This is a garnish that could be served with roast chicken or a grilled piece of salmon.