Alumni in the News, June 2015
Here are some exciting CIA alumni stories from this past month.
1. Roy Choi ’98 is opening a new restaurant.
Loco’l. The new fast food concept will be more health conscious than other fast food chains: the operation’s centerpiece offering will be a burger featuring a patty that’s 30 percent grain and 70 percent beef.
2. Eater’s 2015 Young Guns Class
3. Top Chef’s CIA Connection
4. NBC’s Food Fighters
5. San Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants
San Pellegrino World’s 50 Best Restaurants list for 2015 includes 13—including all of the top five—are approved externship locations where CIA students can complete their required field study between freshman and sophomore year. They are:
1. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
2. Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy
3. Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
4. Central, Lima, Peru
5. Eleven Madison Park, NYC
16. Pujol, Mexico City
18. Le Bernardin, NYC
21. Le Chateaubriand, Paris
26. Alinea, Chicago
30. Vendôme, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
40. Per Se, NYC
41. Mani, São Paulo, Brazil
49. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY
Two restaurants on the list, Pujol (Enrique Olvera ’97) and Alinea (Grant Achatz ’94), are owned by CIA alumni, and two others, Noma (Daniel Giusti ’04) and Per Se (Eli Kaimeh ’00) have graduates running the kitchen.