19 Grads Earn James Beard Nominations
The James Beard Foundation Awards are considered the Academy Awards of food. And this year, 19 CIA graduates have been nominated for Beard Awards in chef, restaurant, service, wine, broadcast, and journalism categories.
The alumni nominees:
- Anthony Bourdain ’78, Best Television Program, On Location (producer): The Mind of a Chef
- Michael Cimarusti ’91, Best Chef: West
- Johnny Clark ’02, Best Chef: Great Lakes
- Nina Compton ’01, Best Chef: South
- Abraham Conlon ’01, Best Chef: Great Lakes
- Greg Denton ’96, Best Chef: Northwest
- Jose Enrique ’98, Best Chef: South
- John Fleer ’91, Best Chef: Southeast
- Jorge Guzman ’05, Best Chef: Midwest
- Francis Lam ’03 (four nominations), Journalism Awards: Best Column; Best Food and Culture; Best Humor; and the MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award
- Christine Langelier ’12, Outstanding Service: Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY (general manager)
- Steve McHugh ’97, Best Chef: Southwest
- Kevin Nashan ’98, Best Chef: Midwest
- Ken Oringer ’89, Outstanding Restaurateur
- Stella Parks ’02, Journalism Award: Best Home Cooking
- Martin Rios ’96, Best Chef: Southwest
- Michael Sichel ’97, Outstanding Service: Galatoire’s Restaurant, New Orleans, LA (executive chef)
- Greg Vernick ’05, Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic
- Cindy Wolf ’87, Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic
In addition, Rajat Parr ’96 is a 2017 inductee into the Foundation’s Who’s Who in Food and Beverage in America. The James Beard “Who’s Who” list is considered the hall-of-fame of the American food scene. The Foundation calls it “a cadre of the most accomplished food and beverage professionals in the country…(who have) contributed in some substantial way to America’s constantly evolving culinary scene.” Parr is a renowned sommelier. He is a partner in the Sandhi winery and Domaine de la Côte vineyard, both in California, and wine director for fellow grad Michael Mina’s restaurant group.
CIA President Dr. Tim Ryan ’77 was a Who’s Who 2010 inductee. Other alumni inducted in recent years include Sherry Yard ’91 and John Besh ’92 (in 2014), Michael Mina ’89 (in 2013), Grant Achatz ’94 (in 2012), David Burke ’82 (in 2009), and Anthony Bourdain ’78 (in 2008).
Winners of the James Beard Foundation awards—among the most prestigious in the food world—will be announced on April 25, 2017 in New York City for books and media and May 1, 2017 in Chicago for restaurants and chefs.